Adding a decorative embellishment can really give your greetings and paper projects an extra touch of love. While there are loads of fantastic toppers, sparkles and gems on the market that provide some added glitz, texture or depth, there is nothing like creating your own, unique addition to your greetings. One easy way of doing this is by drawing or stamping onto some shrink plastic - just as our designer Tracey Daykin-Jones has done on her Congratulations greeting in our recent issue.
Already registered? Click Here to login
Congratulations Greeting Card
Making your own shrink plastic embellishments may look technical but it’s actually very easy, here’s our five-step guide.
• Draw or stamp your design onto white paper, then trace the image on clear shrink plastic using permanent marker or ink. You can always use an opaque shrink plastic and place your design straight on.
• You can colour the image with permanent makers using dots of colour to avoid streaking or by dabbing alcohol ink on with a cotton wool bud.
• Cut out the design, leaving a border around it and, if you wish to use the motif as a hanging charm, punch a small hole in the top. Now lie flat against a hard surface and use a heat gun to release hot air on to your shape, as it heats the charm will buckle.
• Heat until the charm flattens, then leave to cool.
• If you wish, you can use a jump ring to attach the charm to a greeting.
Flip cards are both incredibly fun to craft and receive. If you’re looking to send something extra special to your loved ones this season then why not recreate these playful…
Craft essentials (see p94)
Template from papercrafter magazine.co.uk
Markers: coloured, fineliner
Ink pad, black
Download the segmented star template from our website and print it onto cardstock. With a black…
Dies: Spellbinders A Sweet Christmas, Mistletoe Gatefold, From Our Home To Yours, Mistletoe Doily
Marker pen, grey
Nuvo drops, green
Layer blue card onto a white side-folding blank,…
Accessories Pack, Sara
Wishes; circle, oval
Ink pad, black
Take a 10.5cm x 15cm top-folding blank and cover with teal card. Trim patterned paper…